Tuesday, 13 August 2019 11:15

West welcomes Government relief for Emergency Services Levy Featured

Houses with damage from natural disaster. Houses with damage from natural disaster.

Media release, 13 August, 2019

The Western Sydney Regional Organisation of Councils (WSROC) has welcomed the NSW Government’s announcement that they will fund the first year of the Emergency Services Levy increase.

WSROC President, Cr Barry Calvert, said “WSROC welcomes the announcement that councils will not have to fund the first year of a $13.6 million increase to the Emergency Services Levy, and thank Ministers Barilaro and Hancock for their decision.

“WSROC whole-heartedly supports the move to improve compensation for our emergency service professionals, however, the manner in which this increase was originally implemented – without warning or consultation – did not take into account the budgetary processes of local councils, many of whom are under immense financial pressure,” he said.

“This announcement is recognition giving two months’ notice on an $13.6 million annual increase to the Emergency Services Levy was not fair on local governments,” he said.

“WSROC CEO, Charles Casuscelli, and I met with the Minister Hancock earlier this month and were impressed with her understanding of local government and the challenges they face with regards to sustainable funding. We look forward to working closely with the Minister in the coming years,” said Cr Calvert.

[ENDS]

Media contact: Kelly-Anne Gee, 02 9671 4333, 0425 871 868 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.    

Last modified on Tuesday, 13 August 2019 12:16
More in this category: « M4 tunnels take their toll

Filter By